previous next

“ [428] that the article relative to purchasing land for a burial-ground, in the easterly part of the town, be indefinitely postponed.”

For many years, the eastern wall of the old burying-ground was broken and insufficient. The writer of this directed the attention of the Hon. Peter C. Brooks to the subject in 1846: the consequence was an offer of five hundred dollars from that gentleman to the town, for the purpose of building a granite wall, reaching from the Baptist meeting-house through the whole eastern front of the ground. The town accepted the offer, and voted thanks, Nov. 8, 1847. There was a strip of land, twenty feet or more, added here to the old limits; and the new granite wall encloses it. This strip was laid out in lots, and sold at auction Aug. 3, 1848. Mr. Brooks had a lot reserved for him; and he chose the central one, and urged a relative to purchase the one contiguous on the north, that we might be near our early ancestors, who are buried a few feet west of these enclosures. We trust that future generations will cherish so much reverence for antiquity as will secure the ashes of their ancestors from removal or neglect.

The establishment of the cemetery of Mount Auburn has created in this neighborhood a strong preference for such burial-places; and Medford resolved to have one. The following was passed, Nov. 13, 1848: “Voted that the subject-matter of the fifth article in the warrant, relative to procuring additional land for burial purposes, be referred to a committee of five, to examine locations, obtain prices, &c., and to report at the next March meeting.”

Nov. 12, 1849: The committee reported it expedient to buy ten and a half acres of land, at fifty dollars per acre, of Leonard Bucknam. The town concurred, and empowered the committee to make the purchase.

March 4, 1850: “Voted to choose a committee to lay out and otherwise improve said new burying-ground.” Also voted to expend five hundred dollars accordingly.

After further examination of this land, the committee recommended an abandonment of the above plan; and, March 10, 1851, the town voted to build an alms-house on said land.

July 19, 1852: The subject came before the town; and Messrs. George W. Porter, Robert L. Ells, Paul Curtis, John B. Hatch, and Sanford B. Perry, were chosen a committee “to purchase land for a cemetery.” These gentlemen

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Mount Auburn (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Medford (Massachusetts, United States) (1)

Visualize the most frequently mentioned Pleiades ancient places in this text.

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
George W. Porter (1)
Sanford B. Perry (1)
John B. Hatch (1)
Robert L. Ells (1)
Paul Curtis (1)
Leonard Bucknam (1)
Peter Chardon Brooks (1)
Peter C. Brooks (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: