previous next

1808.--In the public school, an assistant teacher is provided for the first time.

1808.--Digging for hidden money, near the “Rock landing,” was three times repeated by (as is said) Mr. James Francis, of Medford, and Mr. James Hall, of Charlestown. We remember seeing the three excavations. The first, on the southern brow of Rock Hill, was a hole four feet deep and four feet in diameter, and was enclosed within a small circular furrow dug in the earth. The work was done in the night. The second, in Mr. Jonathan Brooks's land, was within thirty feet of the river, and was small in circumference, and quite deep. The third was within ten feet of the river, by the bathing-rock. It disclosed a cave walled up on each side, and arched; its length about six feet, its width three, and its height three. The rocks were red, and so soft that they were ground and used in painting Captain Richardson's house. No rocks of that kind are known in this country. These diggings were at different times; but no one has ever told what success attended the explorations. Other small trials were made in the eastern part of the town. Spirits are now substituted for witch-hazel.

1808.--Snowballing. At this time, the boys who lived east of the meeting-house were called maggots; and they who lived west of it were called fag-enders. Between these parties, the most furious and unbrotherly battles were fought each winter with snowballs. Snow forts were erected behind the meeting-house; and so high ran the spirit of contest, that the boys from the east procured a small cannon, which they loaded so heavily, that, on its discharge, it burst, and wounded a boy in the face. The effect of that injury continues to this day.

1809.--Two representatives to the General Court elected in Medford.

1809.--The number of deaths in Medford, between 1774 and 1809, was 701.

1810.--Medford had a large choir of volunteer singers, under the faithful Ephraim Bailey. On Sunday, once, the pitch-pipe set the pitch so high that the whole choir broke down. Still, Bailey tried on the second verse, and again broke down. General Brooks could not endure it any longer; and he rose in his pew, beckoned to Bailey, and said, “Hadn't you better take another pitch?” Bailey replied, “No, sir: I guess we can get through it.”

1811, May 13.--“Voted to instruct the representative of Medford in the General Court to oppose the petition of Peter Tufts, praying to be set off to Charlestown.” The petition was granted.

1814.--The free seats near the pulpit in the meeting-house, which were formerly occupied by aged men and women, were sold, and two pews built in their place.

1815.--Nahant Parties. At this time, when only a few persons resided at Nahant, it was the custom for families in Medford to join in a party to that beautiful promontory. From ten to twenty

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Ephraim Bailey (3)
Jonathan Brooks (2)
Sarah E. Richardson (1)
James Hall (1)
James Francis (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1809 AD (3)
1808 AD (3)
1815 AD (1)
1814 AD (1)
1811 AD (1)
1810 AD (1)
1774 AD (1)
May 13th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: