previous next

May 12, 1794.--A new pew in Medford meeting-house sold at auction, at twenty-four pounds. In the same year, good oak wood sold at one pound per cord.

1794.--“Joseph Kidder, son of Deacon Samuel Kidder, strayed from home into the woods back of Pasture till. He was three years old; and, being weary, he fell asleep under an apple-tree, and there slept till the next day. It was in July, and the weather very clear. The disappearance of the child created great alarm; and many inhabitants spent the night in traversing the woods, searching the clay-pits, and dredging the river. During the forenoon, he was found near where he slept, his head filled with dew, and his locks with drops of the night.”

After Sept. 1, 1795, all accounts in Medford were kept in dollars, cents, and mills.

1797.--Mrs. Benjamin Hall presented the town with a funeralpall, suitable to be used at the burial of young persons.

1798.--A “deer reeve” chosen in Medford. For what?

1800.--About this time, the “Ohio fever” prevailed; and some from Medford emigrated to that western land of promise. They have prospered greatly. A member of the United States Senate, and a member of the United States House of Representatives, at the present time, are Ohio children from the oldest Medford stock.

Several years ago, two Medford gentlemen were speaking of a young man, who was acting the sorry part of spendthrift and libertine. One of the gentlemen said, “Oh! He is sowing his wild oats.” “Yes,” replied the other; “and the fool don't know they'll all come up again.”

1800.--After this time, “commonable beasts” --i. e., horses, oxen, cows, sheep, and hogs — were not allowed to go at large in the public roads.

The first “clerk of the market” chosen, March 2, 1801.

1804.--During the first part of Rev. Dr. Osgood's ministry, the number of children baptized, in each year, was about fifteen; which number steadily increased till it reached its maximum, of forty-one, in 1804.

1805.--Health Committee chosen for the first time. Does this show the healthiness of the town?

1805.--The Medford omnibus, named “Governor Brooks,” was said to be the first vehicle of the kind built in New England. It was made by Mr. Osgood Bradley, of Worcester, Mass.; and first appeared on its route, Oct. 18, 1836. It cost $650. Eighteen persons could be seated inside, and six outside. It was owned and driven by Mr. Joseph Wyman, of Medford, who began his new business, Feb. 16, 1805; and, for thirty years, drove daily a public coach between Medford and Boston, without overturning it. The fare was thirty-seven and a half cents for many years; but competition reduced it to twenty-five.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Joseph Wyman (1)
David Osgood (1)
Samuel Kidder (1)
Joseph Kidder (1)
Benjamin Hall (1)
Edward Brooks (1)
Osgood Bradley (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: