previous next

1700.--Meeting-house in Medford so cold that men struck their feet together, and children gathered around their mothers' footstoves.

1700.--At this time, “black dogs” were put into the contribution-box in Medford. A silver coin bore this nickname.

1700.--Elders and messengers. These titles were used in letters missive, till the beginning of this century, to designate the pastors and delegates invited to assist in the ordination of ministers.

1700.--Charlestown voted “that all the waste land belonging to the town, on the north side of Mystic River, should be divided, and laid out equally, to every person an equal share that hath been an inhabitant of this town six years, and is twenty-one years old; and the like share to all widows, householders, that have been six years inhabitants.”

1703.--A terrific storm occurred in England. Bishop Kidder, Bishop of Bath and Wells, was killed, with his wife, by the falling of chimneys upon them while in bed in the palace at Wells. He was kinsman of the Kidders of Medford. Mrs. Samuel Kidder, now of Medford, is a descendant of Rev. John Rogers, the martyr.

In 1712, a day-laborer in Medford was allowed two shillings; for a team, one day, five shillings.

The Rev. Aaron Porter's signature may be seen in the townrecords, under date of May 15 and Aug. 20, 1717.

June 12, 1717.--There was a hearing before the council concerning the question, whether Cambridge or Charlestown should be the shire-town of Middlesex County. Judge Sewall says, “Mr. Auchmuty pleaded very well for Charlestown. His discourse was very well worth hearing. Mr. Remington alleged and proved for Cambridge very pertinately and fully. It was decided for Cambridge on the 13th.” Then came the question of concurrence before the House of Deputies. It was a close vote. The judge says, “Could not tell by lifting up the hands: were fain to divide the house. They for Cambridge went to the north side; they for Charlestown, to the south. Cambridge had forty-six; Charlestown, forty-one.”

1718.--Ruth Albree, daughter of John Albree, afterwards the mother of John Brooks, was baptized May 4, 1718, and was taken into church Jan. 24, 1743.

May 12, 1718.--“Put to vote, whether persons hiring any persons, or leasing out tenements, in Medford, may be obliged to acquaint the selectmen therewith, or liable to some fine. Voted in the negative.”

1720.--Tea began to be used in Medford.

1721.--Medford voted to turn the road away from a house while the smallpox was in that house.

Aug. 14, 1721.--“Sundry inhabitants on the north side of Mystic River, who desired to be set off from Charlestown to Malden,”

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Samuel Kidder (2)
Wells (1)
Samuel Sewall (1)
John Rogers (1)
Remington (1)
Aaron Porter (1)
Auchmuty (1)
Ruth Albree (1)
John Albree (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: