This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 been a legal division of the bridge liabilities, shows also that the contiguous towns had not done their duty in the premises. Sept. 21, 1714, a rate of £ 15 was assessed by the selectmen “for Mistick Bridge.” The bridge was now rebuilt; but the adjoining towns refused to pay their shares, and Medford voted to carry the question before the “General Sessions of the Peace,” sitting at Charlestown. The object of this appeal was to show from records that there was no valid reason for the refusal of the neighboring towns in bearing their share of the expense of rebuilding. The Committee chosen to prosecute the whole matter to its final settlement were Deacon Thomas Willis, Ensign John Bradshaw, and Mr. Ebenezer Brooks. The appeal of Medford was just, and it was met by “the Court of General Sessions of the Peace,” sitting at Charlestown, Feb. 16, 1715, thus : “The Court apportion the charges of rebuilding Mistick Bridge as follows: Charlestown, £ 64. 14s.; Woburn, Malden, Reading, and Medford, each £ 17. 12s. 3d.; total, £ 135. 3s.” To this award Woburn, Malden, and Reading objected, and therefore appealed. The consequence was a legal trial of the case; and Medford, July 11, 1715, passed the following: “Voted to empower Deacon Thomas Willis, Ensign John Bradshaw, and Mr. Ebenezer Brooks, as a Committee to defend the town against any suits in law having reference to the rebuilding of Mistic Bridge.” The decision was in favor of Medford. When the tract on the south of the river became annexed to Medford from Charlestown in 1754, the town says: “April 30, 1754: The southerly half of Mistic Bridge, and the causey adjoining, by a resolve of the General Assembly, is now within the limits of Medford.” “May 8, 1754: Samuel Brooks, Esq., Lieut. Stephen Hall, jun., and Jos. Tufts, were chosen a Committee to manage the affairs relating to the southerly half of the Mistic Bridge, and the causey adjoining thereto.” The increase of travel over this bridge rendered it liable to frequent repairs, and Medford became sole owner of it. The annexation, in 1754, of that part of Charlestown which lies near the south bank of Mystic River, released that town from all obligations connected with the “Great Bridge,” as it was called. Accordingly, July 25, 1757, we find the following record: “Voted, that Samuel Brooks, Esq., Stephen Hall, Esq., and Capt. Caleb Brooks, be a Committee to agree ”
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.