the town records, May, 1724. The college at that time had not commenced the giving of medical degrees. He is called “the first physician of Medford.” During a short residence with his townsman and relative, Rev. John Tufts, at Newbury, he connected himself with the church there, and was recommended by that church to the one in Medford, May, 1734. To show how much he labored, how well he succeeded, and how truly he was loved, we quote here the following brief and discriminating notice of him which appeared in the public papers immediately after his death:--
One hundred and eight years having passed since his death, little more can now be collected concerning him. They who knew him testify that his practice was very extensive,--reaching even to Haverhill and Newbury; that he enjoyed the respect and affection of all who knew him; that the country mourned his loss; and that funeral sermons were preached at Medford, Boston, Charlestown, and Cambridge. He was often called to visit the sick at Harvard College; and, though not rich himself, never demanded fees except from rich students. It is indicative of the industry and economy of that age, that, while his oldest son, Simon, was at college, his father placed him in the family of Mr. Foxcraft, the County Register of Deeds, that he might pay for his board by writing in the office.