previous next
“ [481] court, that divers persons within this jurisdiction do usually absent themselves from church meetings upon the Lord's day, power is therefore given to any two assistants to hear and censure, either by fine or imprisonment (at their discretion), all misdemeanors of that kind committed by any inhabitant within this jurisdiction, provided they exceed not the fine of five shillings for one offence.”

1645.--Something may be guessed concerning the state of things among the early settlers, when “a man walks on snow-shoes five miles to buy a bushel of corn, carries it on his back to mill, and thence home.”

May 6, 1646.--The General Court forbid all persons taking any tobacco within five miles of any house.

1647.--The sum of fifty pounds, and, in 1649, the additional sum of fifty pounds, given, by the will of Mathew Cradock, Esq., to the poor of St. Swithen's, are acknowledged as having been received, and entered in the “Vellum Book,” Oct. 17, 1651. These sum, were laid out in building shops against the church-wall.

1647.--Charlestown's “part of Mistick Wear was granted as an alowance for the town school for ever.”

1647.--The General Court invite the Synod to draw up “a confession of faith.”

Nov. 11, 1647.--Medford was under the following law: Ordered that no lover shall seek the hand of his chosen one till he has asked permission of her parents. Penalty for the first offence, £ 5; for the second, £ 10; and for the third, imprisonment. According to this, courting, in those days, must have been a very dangerous business.

The “Cambridge platform” adopted 1648; and the church at Malden gathered the same year.

Oct. 18, 1648.--The coopers united in a company, and received from the General Court an act of incorporation.

May 2, 1649.--The General Court say, “Upon the petition of Mistick-side men, they are granted to be a distinct town, and the name thereof to be called Mauldon.”

1649.--The Middlesex County Records before this date are lost.

1649.--“Horses must be registered in a book kept in each town.”

In a neighboring town, church troubles ran so high, in 1650, that they were obliged to call in the civil authorities.

1650.--“Goodman” and “goodwife” were common appellations. “Mr.” was applied only to persons of distinction. “Esquire” was seldom used: it was esteemed above that of “reverend.” Mr. Josias Plaistowe took corn from the Indians. The General Court ordered him to return the corn, and pay a fine; and “hereafter to be called by the name of Josias, and not Mr., as formerly he used to be.”

1657.--The name of Jonathan Wade first appears on the records

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Mystic River (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Middlesex County (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Medford (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Charlestown, Mass. (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Cambridge (Massachusetts, United States) (1)

Visualize the most frequently mentioned Pleiades ancient places in this text.

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Jonathan Wade (1)
Josias Plaistowe (1)
Goodman (1)
Mathew Cradock (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: