May 4, 1829, the streets in Medford
received their names.
1829.--Voted that each owner of a dog shall pay $1.25 annually as a tax: also that each dog shall wear a collar; and, if found without one, its owner shall pay $10.
1830.--Voted to have the bell rung at twelve, M., and nine P. M.
1836.--Mrs. John Fulton
, who died this year, aged ninety-five, was one of those who helped to dress the wounds of the soldiers who were in the battle of Bunker Hill
Many of the wounded soldiers were brought to Medford
She was a true patriot; and General Washington
honored her with a visit.
At that time, they had bought a punch-bowl; and the general was the first person who drank out of it. The bowl is now owned by Mr. Frederick Bradlee
, of Boston
Mr. John Fulton
, of Medford
, was cousin to Mr. Robert Fulton
, the inventor of steamboats; and they were once prisoners together.
's mother was a Wier, who came over with the “Scotch-Irish
1840.--The pillars which sustained the gallery of the third meeting-house (1770) are now in use in West Medford, on the outside of the house of the late Jonathan Brooks
Mr. Turell's Portrait
.--In Church Records, vol.
III. p. 104, are the following: “1842, July.--The church received, from the hand of Dudley Hall, a bequest of the late Turell Tufts
,--two pieces of plate for the communion-table; and a portrait of the Rev. Mr. Turell
, one of the former pastors of this church.”
Aug. 7.--“At a meeting of the church this day, a letter was read by Dudley Hall, from Samuel Turell Armstrong
, requesting the church to transfer to him, during his lifetime, the above-mentioned portrait of Mr. Turell
The church voted unanimously that this request be complied with; and that Dudley Hall, the treasurer, be authorized to deliver the portrait to Mr. Armstrong
It is now in the possession of Mrs. S. T. Armstrong
, in Boston
1854.--In the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, of October, is a biographical notice of Hon. Peter C. Brooks
, written by Hon. Edward Everett
, doing justice to the character of our distinguished townsman.
1854.--Captain Duncan Ingraham
married the widow of Dr. Simon Tufts
, as his second wife, and resided in Medford
By his first wife, he had a son, named Nathaniel, who endeavored to force back into slavery Caesar
, a Malay.
Nathaniel had a son, named Duncan
N., who attended our public schools, and is remembered as a boy of spirit and force.
He has recently rendered himself famous by his bold measure at Smyrna
for the rescue of an Hungarian.
So popular is this measure, that even the working-classes of England
have united to present to him a valuable chronometer.
It bears the following inscription: “Presented to Captain Ingraham
, of the United States navy, by some thousands of the British
working-classes, for his noble conduct in rescuing Martin