Brooks schoolhouse, 1861.|
The question concerning the right of the town to use the meeting-house of the first parish for town-meetings having been settled, the inhabitants began to devise for building a town-house; and the subject came up for consideration, Dec. 6, 1827; but no definite action was had. It engaged attention at subsequent meetings; but nothing final occurred till March 4, 1833, when a committee recommended the building of a town-house, whose dimensions should be “sixty-five feet long, forty wide, and eighteen-feet posts.”
This report was accepted; and the land on which the building now stands, on the north-east corner of Main and High Streets, was purchasd of the heirs of Samuel Buel
for $3,000. The plan of the building was drawn by Mr. Benjamin
The length was extended to seventy feet. The cost of land and building was $10,062.25. The engraving will give an exact idea of its present appearance.
It was found commodious, and was used for all public gatherings.