any thing for the poor and alms-house, where intoxicating drinks are sold.
July 19, 1852:
Whereas the Legislature of this Commonwealth passed at the last session a law for the suppression of places for the sale of intoxicating drinks, therefore--
Resolved, that the officers of this town be instructed to execute the law in every instance of its violation.
These votes and resolutions contrast strongly with the vote of 1831, when the town voted not to restrain retailers.
Feb. 15, 1855: “The town-agency for the sale of spirituous liquors,” say the Selectmen, “has been in existence two and a half years. The agent has given general satisfaction.
The experiment thus far has been satisfactory, and the agency is sufficient to meet all the reasonable demands of the inhabitants for spirituous liquors.”
March 13, 1848: “Voted to give the Selectmen one hundred dollars per annum for their services.”
The petition of certain inhabitants of Medford
, and West Cambridge
, to be set off from their several towns, and to be united in a new town, named Winchester
, called forth the following vote of the town of Medford
March 4, 1850: “Voted that the Selectmen be instructed to oppose the petition of E. S. Parker and others of South Woburn, to set off a part of Medford to a proposed new town.”
Strenuous efforts were made to defeat the petition, but without success.
Some inhabitants of Medford
, who would be included in the new town, opposed this separation from their old friends.
The act of separation and the act for the incorporation of Winchester
were passed together, April 30, 1850.
The act defines the bounds of Winchester
, but does not state what territory was taken from each of the old towns, out of which the new town is made.
The regulations and conditions respecting debts, paupers, congressional districts, &c., were made, which usually accompany such acts.
lost a large tract of excellent land, and became separated territorially from many long-cherished and valuable friends.
The last record of town-officers, elected at the annual March
meeting, which we can insert, is that of 1850; and it is as follows:--
|John Sparrell, Moderator.|
|Jos. P. Hall, Town-clerk.|
|James O. Curtis,||Selectmen.|
|George W. Porter, Treasurer.|
|Horatio A. Smith,||Assessors.|
|John T. White,||Overseers of the Poor.|
|Benj. R. Teel,|
|Timothy Cotting,||School Committee.|
|Horatio A. Smith,|
|Benj. R. Teel,|
|Hosea Ballou, 2d,|
|J. M. Sanford,|
|Chas. S. Jacobs,|
|Alex. Gregg, Surveyor of Highways.|
|John T. White,||Constables.|
|John T. White, Collector of Taxes.|
|Eleazer Davis,||Field Drivers.|
|Pyam Cushing,||Fence Viewers.|
|Peter C. Hall,|
|Nathan W. Wait,|
|John T. White,||Fish Committee.|
|Henry H. Jacquith, Pound Keeper.|
|John Sparrell,||Surveyors of Lumber.|
|Jas. O. Curtis,|
|J. T. Foster,|
|G. T. Goodwin,|
|R. E. Ells,|
|C. S. Jacobs,|
|B. R. Teel,|
|T. T. Fowler,|
|B. H. Samson,|