previous next


Aug. 1, 1637: “Squa Sachem and Webber Cowet did acknowledge in Court, that they had received of Mr. Gibbins, for the town of Charlestown, 36s. for the land between Charlestown and Wenotomies River, which they acknowledge themselves to be satisfied for.”

Another grant, by the “Squa Sachem of Mistick,” of lands bordering on Medford, is as follows:--

The 15th of the 2d mo., 1639: Wee, Web-Cowet and Squa Sachem, do sell unto the inhabitants of the towne of Charlestowne all the land within the line granted them by the Court (excepting the farmes and the ground on the west of the two great ponds, called Misticke Ponds), from the south side of Mr. Nowell's lott, neere the upper end of the ponds, unto the little runnet that cometh from Capt. Cook's mills, which the Squa reserveth to their use, for her life, for the Indians to plant and hunt upon, and the weare above the ponds they also reserve for tile Indians to fish at whiles the Squa liveth; and, after the death of Squa Sachem, she doth leave all her lands, from Mr. Mayhue's house to neere Salem, to the present Governor, Mr. John Winthrop, sen., Mr. Increase Nowell, Mr. John Willson, Mr. Edward Gibons, to dispose of, and all Indians to depart; and, for sattisfaction from Charlestowne, wee acknowledge to have received, in full satisfaction, twenty and one coates, ninten fathom of wampom, and three bushels of corn. In witness whereof, we have here unto sett o'r hands, the day and year above named.

The mark of Squa Sachem, m'c. The mark of Web-Cowet, m.

This queen died in Medford before 1662, as appears from the following documents in the 2d vol. of Middlesex Registry of Deeds:--

Mr. Francis Norton and Nicholas Davison (Mr. Cradock's agent) do, in the name of the inhabitants of Charlestown, lay claim to the tract of land reserved to Squa Sachem during her lifetime, and which is at present possessed and improved by Thomas Gleison of Charlestown; this land bounded on the east by Mystic Pond, on the west by Cambridge Common, on the south by the land of Mr. Cooke, on the north formerly in the possession of Mr. Increase Nowell.

This demand and claim was made in the person of John Fennell and Mr. William Sims, the 25th of March, 1662, at the house of Thomas Gleison.

Entered 29th of March, 1662, by T. Danforth.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
March 29th, 1662 AD (1)
March 25th, 1662 AD (1)
1662 AD (1)
February 15th, 1639 AD (1)
August 1st, 1637 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: