ambitious young men of Medford joined heartily to make it the banner corps of the county. In the war of 1812, this company was called to guard the powder-house, and did duty there for some weeks. The zeal for military display declined after 1814, and there was only an annual training for keeping up the show of warlike preparation. March 7, 1831: One hundred knapsacks were ordered by the town for the use of the militia.
Brooks Phalanx.Sept. 22, 1841: Fifty-two citizens of Medford petitioned the Governor for a charter to establish a company of volunteer militia, to be attached to the fifth regiment of infantry, in the first brigade and third division of Massachusetts militia. This petition was granted; and the company adopted the name of Brooks Phalanx, in honor of his late Excellency Governor Brooks. Oct. 11, 1841: The following officers were chosen:--
|H. N. Peck||1st Lieutenant.|
|Joseph W. Mitchell||2d Lieutenant.|
|James B. Gregg||3d Lieutenant.|