This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 Sept. 3, 1824: The subject of a fund for the support of the gospel ministry is brought up and discussed by the church, and the wish expressed that one may be gathered. July 3, 1825 : The proposition to print the church covenant, and the covenant for baptism, brought up the consideration of that adopted Feb. 11, 1713, and that of March 15, 1782; and the result was a vote by the church, that they “do not find it needful to propose any alterations in their confessions of faith, either in their articles or terms. They conceive that the church-covenant especially combines the qualities of a true Protestant as well as gospel confession; the properties of being liberal and practical, yet deeply serious and evangelical.” Dr. Osgood gave by will some valuable books to the church, “for the use of his successors in the ministry ;” and these are added to those received from his predecessor. Aug. 7, 1825: The pastor proposed the formation of a parish and social library, and began with a donation. Sept. 4: The proposition above was accepted, and a committee of five brethren of the church and six members of the congregation was chosen to collect subscriptions and receive donations. Nov. 1, 1825: The parish voted to procure an organ, if four hundred and fifty dollars can be raised by subscription for that purpose. Committee to procure subscriptions: Messrs. George W. Porter, Turell Tufts, and Darius Wait. The organ was purchased for the amount, and gave satisfaction. Jan. 2, 1826: Voted, that the money received from the sale of the new pews to be built in the gallery be the beginning of a permanent fund for the support of the ministry in said parish. In April of this year, the question arose respecting the right of the town to hold town-meetings in the meeting-house of the first parish; the Selectmen contending for the right, the parish against it. About this time, subscriptions were commenced for the “Congregational Ministerial Fund for the First Parish in the town of Medford.” By the judicious investments of the Treasurer, Dudley Hall, Esq., this fund amounts, in 1855, to $8,600. By special statute, one hundred dollars of the annual income must be added each year to the permanent fund. The balance of the incomes may be expended for the support of the pastor.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.