This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 members of the parish; and, at a public meeting on the 24th of March, 1834, a committee report, “that they find the act incorporating trustees passed the 9th of March, 1827; and it appears that Messrs. Jonathan Brooks, Nathaniel Hall, Turell Tufts, Dudley Hall, Nathan Adams, John Symmes, jun., and Jonathan Porter, were incorporated trustees by the said act.” These originators of the fund performed the duties of trustees with judgment and perseverance; and the result is, that the fund now amounts to $8,600. April 17, 1837: The parish voted “to raise $1,400, to pay the minister's salary and other current expenses.” March 11, 1839: A committee of seven was appointed this day to consider the expediency of building a new meeting-house, and to procure plans and estimates. They finally recommended the erection of a wooden house; and on the 2d of April, 1839, the parish passed the following vote: “That the present house be taken down, and a new one built on the same spot in its stead, not to exceed in cost the sum of $12,000.” The building-committee were Messrs. Samuel P. Heywood, Andrew Blanchard, jun., George W. Porter, Samuel Lapham, and Milton James, Esqrs. Whether the parish had learned wisdom from former times or not, we cannot tell; but surely the unanimity and heartiness seen in these movements evince solid judgment and Christian character. Three judicious and disinterested gentlemen were chosen, from towns adjacent, to apprize the pews in the old meeting-house; and they performed their duty acceptably,--not awarding over twenty dollars to the best pews. The parish took leave of the old house on Sunday, May 12, 1839; on which occasion the pastor delivered a valedictory discourse from 1 Chron. XVII. 1. This sermon was printed; and no one, whose early years were associated with that sacred edifice, can read the conclusion of that discourse without a throbbing heart and a tearful eye. As soon as the first parish had voted to take down the old meeting-house, the second Congregational Society and the Universalist Society offered the use of their meeting-houses to the first parish at such times as would be mutually convenient. We love to record these acts of Christian courtesy; for they were, in this case, offerings of the heart. The building-committee were instructed to procure a new organ; and they say that the donation of $1,000, by the Hon.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.