This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 in 1838, to its conversion to a free road. This was not done; and it yet continues as at the first. On this road, near the Charlestown line, their canal, turnpike, and river come into such close contact that a coachman, with a long whip, touched the waters of the river and canal without leaving his seat. About the year 1810, the turnpike began to be used as a race-course, and races and trotting-matches were quite common. Andover Turnpike.--This road encountered the usual amount of opposition from those who saw it would lead travel away from their houses, and those who thought its passage through their farms would ruin them. But the saving of three miles travel, for loads of ship-timber and country produce, was too great a gain of time, space, and money, to be wholly abandoned. The first projectors, therefore, persevered, and subscriptions for stock were opened in 1804, and Medford was deeply interested in it. An act of incorporation was obtained, June 15, 1805, by Jonathan Porter, Joseph Hurd, Nathan Parker, Oliver Holden, and Fitch Hall. The route was designated in the act. It was to run from the house of John Russell, in Andover, in an easterly direction, to the east of Martin's Pond ; nearly on a straight line to the house of J. Nichols, in Reading ; thence to Stoneham, by the west side of Spot Pond, to the market-place in Medford. No time for its construction was named in the legislative grant, as the distance was considerable and the country hilly. A much longer time and much more money than were at first supposed, were required for its completion. Not proving a very profitable investment, there were propositions made, in 1828, for its sale. These were not accepted; and, finally, it was concluded to abandon the road, offering it as a free highway to the several towns through which it passed. In 1803, the town of Medford vote to accept and support that part of it which is in Medford, whenever it shall be free of toll. Again, in 1831, the town express the wish that it may become a free road, and promise to keep their part in good repair. This disposition having been made of it, the town has performed its promise; and to-day, under the name of Forest Street, it is one of the most popular localities for country seats. Medford has always kept its roads in very good condition, and the blue gravel found here has made it comparatively
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.