This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 parties were conscientious; and, as they differed in opinion, they could not walk together in peace; and therefore it was wise and Christian to separate. Much greater evils would have come under a forced union. The withdrawal of many members of the congregation, to join the new society, occasioned a less amount of complaint, exasperation, and controversy, on both sides, than is common. Both parties had equally in view justice and charity as Christian graces, and both wished to exhibit them to each other. To suppose that such sacred and durable ties can be sundered without exciting strong emotions and prompting to unreasonable speech, is to suppose that we are not human. The lightnings that flash and the thunders that roll may terrify for a moment; but they release the rain, and purify the air, and make the earth more fruitful. God's will be done. In pursuing the history of the First Parish from this time, it will not be needful to speak of its connection with parishes subsequently formed, but only to record the facts arising out of its separate organization and private proceedings. March 31, 1824: On this day, ten male members of the First Parish apply to James Russell, Esq., Justice of the Peace, to issue his warrant, directing some one of the petitioners to notify all the legal voters of said parish to meet in their meeting-house, April 12, 1824, at two o'clock, P. M., for the purpose of electing officers, raising money, and doing all other necessary acts. The warrant was issued, and the first meeting held at the time specified; and Abner Bartlett, Esq., was chosen Clerk; Messrs. Jonathan Brooks, John Symmes, Darius Wait, Nathan Adams, jun., and John King, Parish Committee; Messrs. J. Richardson, John Howe, and Ebenezer Hall, jun., Assessors; William Ward, Esq., Treasurer. Thus the First Parish on this day became a separate body, under a legal organization. On this day also, “Voted to raise the sum of one thousand dollars, to discharge the minister's salary and other incidental charges the ensuing year.” “ July 27, 1823: Voted by the church, that the ordinance of baptism be hereafter administered at the commencement of the afternoon service on the Lord's day, in place of being performed after sermon, as heretofore the practice has been.” “July 27, 1823: The Hon. Peter C. Brooks presented to the church two silver flagons; for which thanks were voted.”
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.