This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 On the 20th of June, 1823, a public meeting was held, and a new society formed, called “The second Congregational Society of Medford.” After the following sabbath, the members of the new society fitted up a hall in the neighborhood as a temporary place of worship, and their members gradually increased. Their pulpit was supplied by neighboring clergymen, and from the Theological Seminary in Andover, till Oct. 2; when seventeen members from the first church, with nine members of other churches who had removed lately to Medford, bringing with them letters of dismission, were organized into a church by an ecclesiastical council, of which Rev. William Greenough, of Newton, was chosen Moderator; and Rev. B. B. Wisner, of Boston, Scribe. The names of the original members were as follows (the seventeen first mentioned coming from the first church of Medford, the others from abroad):-- Galen James, Jesse Crosby, Thomas Jameson, Gilbert Blanchard, Mary Clay, Hephsibah Fitch, Nancy Fitch, Mary Magoun, Mary Blanchard, Elizabeth Baily, Harriet G. Rogers, Ann Clay, Mary R. James, Mary Blanchard, 2d, Nancy Jameson, Hannah Crosby, Mary Kidder, James Forsayth, Nathaniel Jaquith, Thompson Kidder, Thomas Pratt, John T. White, Jennet Forsayth, Phebe Pratt, Cynthia White, Lucy Blanchard. An act incorporating the new society passed the Legislature, Feb. 21, 1824, and measures were adopted for the erection of a house of worship; which, when completed, was dedicated to Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, Sept. 1, 1824; and, at the time of the dedication, Rev. Aaron Warner, who had labored with acceptance nearly from the time of the organization of the church, was installed its first pastor. His ministry of eight years was eminently successful. There were many accessions to the congregation, and above a hundred additions to the church, in which his memory is most affectionately cherished. He was dismissed at his own request, on account of infirm health in his family, Oct. 2, 1832. His successor was Rev. Gordon Winslow; ordained June, 12, 1833, and dismissed Nov. 12, 1834. After him, Rev. Levi Pratt was installed pastor, Aug. 19, 1835, who died of fever, in the midst of his labors, much lamented, Aug. 9, 1837.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.