This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 Vernon. Its owner wished to let it; and his advertisement, dated Dec. 26, 1743, reads thus: “Any persons before-handed, so as to lay in a good stock of liquors and other necessaries for a tavern, may meet with proper encouragement from Isaac Royal, Esq.” Accompanying the above was this notice: “A person has a handsome mourning-coach, with a pair of good horses, to let out to any funeral, at ten shillings, old tenor, each funeral.” This house acquired great popularity, especially when kept by Roger Billings, in 1775. It was afterwards kept by Mr. James Tufts and Son. It became a private dwelling about half a century ago, and so continued till its destruction by fire, Nov. 21, 1850. The “Fountain house,” next in order of time, was built as early as 1725; and yet stands, a comfortable residence. Being well placed on the great thoroughfare between Salem and Boston, it had extensive patronage. It aimed to be a little superior to other houses. Its sign represented two men shaking hands, who were called palaverers; and hence the house first wore the name of Palaver Tavern. The two large trees in front had each a platform in its branches; and these platforms were connected with each other and with the house by wooden bridges, and were used much in summer as places of resort for drinking punch and cordials. Tea-parties were sometimes gathered there. It was called Fountain House from having a new sign representing a fountain pouring punch into a large bowl. The third tavern built in Medford stood on the west side of Main Street, about eight rods south of the bridge, and was the largest in town. It was built by Mr. Benjamin Parker, town-treasurer, as early as 1745, and was sold by him to Hezekiah Blanchard, who added a large dancing-hall to it, and called it “Union Hall.” He left it to his son Hezekiah, who continued it a tavern till his death. The fourth tavern was at the foot of Rock Hill, at the West End, and sometimes called the Rock Hill Tavern. Among its keepers were Messrs. “Usher, Wesson, Frost, and Putnam.” It was a favorite resort for teamsters, and gained great popularity. The new house, built by Mr. Jonathan Porter in the market-place, was opened as a tavern, but did not long continue as such. The “Medford house,” standing on the north-east corner of Main and Spring Streets, and now the only public-house in
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.