It is operated by steam-power, and is extensively patronized by house-carpenters for planing boards.
The mechanics and artisans of Medford
, in their various departments, have excellent reputation, and much property.
The large deposits of valuable clay within the town of Medford
early directed the attention of the enterprising inhabitants to the manufacture of bricks; and those made in 1630 for Mr. Cradock
's house were the first.
Bricks were made on Colonel Royal
deposits were found between his mansion-house and the river.
A most extensive and profitable business was carried on in these yards for many years.
At a later date, say 1750, bricks were made on land directly north of Dr. Tufts
The steep bank now in front of Mr. George W. Porter
's house marks the place.
This land, called Brick-yard Pasture
, was owned by Rev. Matthew Byles
, of Boston
, and sold by him to Dr. Simon Tufts
, March 26, 1761.
Nov. 14, 1774, the town passed the following vote: “That this town does disapprove of any bricks being carried to Boston
till the committees of the neighboring towns shall consent to it.”
In 1785, Stephen Hall willed “the brick-yards now in the occupation of Thomas Bradshaw
, and Samuel Tufts, jun.
About this time, Captain Caleb Blanchard
and his brother Simon made bricks in a yard near Mr. Cradock
's house, in the eastern part of the town; and afterwards in a yard on land opposite the Malden Alms-house
, just on the borders of East Medford.
The bricks used for the construction of the six tombs first built in the old burying-ground were made in a yard owned by Thomas Brooks, Esq.
That yard was near Mystic River
, about half-way between Rock Hill
and the Lowell Railroad Bridge.
In that yard, Samuel Francis
made bricks as early as 1750, and sold them at ten shillings per thousand (lawful money). Mr. Brooks
carried on the manufacture in 1760, and sold them at fifteen shillings. Mr. Stephen Hall
was the next occupant of that yard, which has been discontinued since 1800.
In 1795, the price was four dollars.
Captain Caleb Brooks
made bricks on the land occupied