previous next

[256] Charles Briggs; sermon, by Rev. Convers Francis; ordaining prayer, by Dr. Lowell; charge, by Dr. Kirkland; right hand of fellowship, by Rev. George Ripley; address to the people, by Rev. Henry Ware, jun.; concluding prayer, by Rev. B. Whitman; benediction, by the pastor.

Copies of the within exercises were requested for publication, but were declined.

“March 14, 1827: In the church, voted, first, that the ceremony of owning the covenant, on the admission of members, shall, in future, be before the church only, at the communion. Second, that the fourth paragraph of the present covenant be hereafter discontinued in the admission of members. Third, that the pastor have discretionary authority to admit members from other churches, of whose Christian standing he is satisfied, without any public act.”

“Dec. 2, 1827: The church voted that the Lord's Supper should be celebrated on the first sabbath of every other month.”

“June 11, 1832: The church voted that the pastor, at his discretion, be authorized to receive persons into this church at a private interview; and that no public act shall be necessary to their membership, except propounding them in the usual form.”

“1827: Deacon Richard Hall bequeathed to this church the sum of seven hundred dollars, the interest of which should for ever be distributed among the poor women of this church.”

“April 25, 1827: The parish voted to raise twelve hundred dollars, to pay the minister's salary and other current expenses.”

At the same meeting, voted to introduce the “Cambridge Collection” of hymns in place of Dr. Watts's!

April 30, 1832: The subject of building a parsonage-house was discussed in a parish-meeting, and resolutions to build were passed, and three thousand dollars voted as the highest sum to be raised on the credit of the parish. After plans and wishes on both sides had been proposed and argued, that Christian benefactor, who “does good by stealth and blushes to find it fame,” offered a piece of land, as a gift to the parish, for the site of a parsonage. The parish accordingly voted “a formal acceptance of the very generous offer of Dr. Daniel Swan, which they esteem doubly valuable from the amiable and accommodating spirit in which it has been thus promptly made.”

The committee chosen to build the house were Messrs. Abner Bartlett, Peter C. Brooks, and Jonathan Brooks, Esqs. It was built immediately, at the cost of $3,824.05, and was acceptable to pastor and people.

Fund.--This subject was a cherished one by a few earnest

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: