This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 access to a landing place was important. This accounts for so many of these “private” ways in New England. Nov. 9, 1846: The town chose a Committee of three, to ascertain what right of way exists for the use of “Rock Hill landing.” The owner of the land denies all rights; and a suit is now pending, amicably to settle the question. As soon as ship-building laid its first keel in Medford, the town felt a new impulse, and began to increase in numbers by a new ratio. This required new streets; and from 1810 to the present time they have been constantly opening, either by municipal authority or by private experiment. These may be seen, and will be preserved, on the map of Medford, now just completed. The only streets named in the records before 1843 are Main, South, Union, High, Purchase, Cross, Ship, Park, Salem, Fulton, and Forest. It has become a fashion to lay out small townships or districts anywhere within twenty and thirty miles of the capital. Private gentlemen open roads through their grounds, mark off many acres into small “lots,” publish a map of the unborn city, and on the appointed day begin to sell the little enclosures at public auction. Many people are thus happily tempted to desert the city, and live in the more healthful country. By these means, the number of public roads has been doubled, in some towns, within the last twenty years. The town of Medford is not without such enterprise, and such results. Edmund T. Hastings, Esq., originated for West Medford a beneficence of this kind in 1845; and, in conjunction with Mr. Samuel Teel, jun., has opened ten new streets; and, within nine years, there have been erected thirty-five dwelling-houses within the enclosures and the neighborhood. A similar outlay has been made (1852) by a Company whose enterprising agent, Mr. T. P. Smith, was promising great improvements in buildings and orchards, when death suddenly took him in 1854. The streets there are named Harvard Avenue; Bower, Monument, Myrtle, Marian Streets; Gorham Park, Lake Park. Mr. John Bishop has done the same thing on his paternal estate north of “Gravelly Bridge,” and also on the deep forest south of Pine Hill. This last he calls Bellevue. On the first area, several dwelling-houses are built; but on the second, none. He has pierced the woods by streets, which
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.