previous next
[484] were refused their petition by Charlestown. From the earliest times, there seems to have been a strong desire to break away from Charlestown. At first, it was the largest town in the Colony; but town after town has been severed from it, till now it is the smallest territorial town in the State!

In the graveyard at Malden, we find the following:--

Here lies buried the body of Capt. Peter Tufts, who died Sept. 20, 1721,
aged 73 years.

Also the body of Mrs. Mercy Tufts, wife of Capt. Peter Tufts, who died
June 18, 1715, aged 48 years.

“Mercy, daughter of Seaborn Cotton, was born Nov. 3, 1666. She married Captain Peter Tufts, of Medford. Her grandfather was Rev. John Cotton, of England, a very distinguished divine.” Dr. Simon Tufts, of Medford, was the youngest son of Peter and. Mercy Tufts.

1727.--Mr. Thomas Seccomb left valuable records, in manuscript, containing a notice of every clergyman who preached in Medford, and all the texts preached from, between 1727 and 1774; also a record of all baptisms and all contributions.

Book No 1 begins Sept.3, 1727;and ends June1, 1736.
Book No 2 begins June20, 1736;and ends Feb.28, 1745.
Book No 3 begins March3, 1745;and ends Dec.3, 1767.
Book No 4 begins Dec.20, 1767;and ends May1, 1774.

In the second meeting-house, 5,134 sermons were preached, and 1,218 persons baptized.

Oct. 29, 1727.--The great earthquake occurred on this day (Sunday); and. the selectmen of Medford appointed the next Wednesday, Nov. 2, to be observed as a day of fasting and humiliation on that account.

September, 1729.--The Yankee habit of using a jack-knife on all occasions and in all places seems to have given our town some trouble; for at this time they resolve, by a public vote, to prosecute those persons who have cut the seats of the new meetinghouse.

Feb. 17, 1731.--Mr. Turell says in his record, “Married, standing together, William Watson and Abigail Hall.” Was this the first time he had seen a couple so placed?

Sept. 12, 1731.--Rev. John Seccomb preached in Medford.

1735.--Sampson, a negro slave, was sorely frightened by a wild bear and cub, which he met in the woods, near Governor Cradock's house. In a rock on the north-east border of Medford, near the corner of Melrose, is a deep excavation, called Bear's Den.

Oct. 8, 1738.--Governor Belcher attended meeting in Medford, Sunday. Rev. Mr. Turell preached.

Rev. Joshua Tufts preached in Medford, Aug. 24, 1740.

A species of very destructive worm appeared in July, 1743. They destroyed both grass and corn. Mr. Turell preached, July 3, on the event, from Lam. III. 39, and Ezek. XVIII. 25.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Ebenezer Turell (3)
Peter Tufts (3)
Simon Tufts (2)
William Watson (1)
Mercy Tufts (1)
Joshua Tufts (1)
Thomas Seccomb (1)
John Seccomb (1)
Elijah Sampson (1)
Lam (1)
Mathew Cradock (1)
John Cotton (1)
J. Belcher (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: