previous next

[59] pikes, burned; 1500 cutlasses, burned; 15 boxes United States standard weights and measures, burned; 170 fixed artillery ammunition, thrown into the river; 200 kegs powder, thrown into the river; also a quantity of saddles, harness, etc., destroyed during the march.

Five cotton-gins, 400 bales cotton, 2 steam sawmills; four railroad bridges, framed and ready for use, 1,500,000 feet; captured on the Savannah River by Captain Gildersleeve, One Hundred and Fiftieth New-York volunteers, and burned, confederate steamer Ida.

Colonel Cogswell's Report.

headquarters Second Massachusetts infantry, in the field, December 25, 1864.
Captain J. R. Lindsay, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Second Brigade:
Captain: I have the honor to report that on the occupation of Atlanta by the Twentieth corps, September second, the Second Massachusetts infantry was assigned to duty in the city as provost-guard, in which position it remained until November sixteenth, when it started on the march in rear of the Fourteenth corps, being the last of the army to leave town. Camped at night about five miles beyond Decatur.

November seventeenth, marched in rear of Fourteenth corps wagon-train to Conyer's. Foraged about eight head of cattle.

November eighteenth, followed Fourteenth corps train across Yellow River. Foraged two days rations of potatoes.

November nineteenth, marched through Corington, crossed the Ulcofauhatchee River, destroying the bridge, and camped at Newbern.

November twentieth, marched in rear of Fourteenth corps train, about sixteen miles. Foraged a wagon-load of sweet potatoes.

November twenty-first, left the Fourteenth corps at Eatonton factory, crossed Little River, and camped.

November twenty-second, marched through Eatonton, crossed Little River on pontoons, and camped at Meriwether.

November twenty-third, marched through Milledgeville, crossed the Oconee River, joined the brigade, and went into camp.

November twenty-fourth, marched with the brigade to Hebron.

November twenty-fifth, crossed Buffalo Creek, and camped about three miles beyond.

November twenty-sixth, marched through Sandersville, skirmished with cavalry, marched to Tennille Station, and destroyed half a mile of railroad track.

November twenty-seventh, marched to Davisboro Station.

November twenty-eighth, marched on railroad to Spiers's Turnout; destroyed about one mile of track.

November twenty-ninth, marched on railroad about seven miles; destroyed about two miles of track.

November thirtieth, crossed the Ogeechee, and camped about three miles beyond.

December first, marched with wagons about ten miles through bad swamps.

December second, marched with wagons.

December third, marched about eleven miles.

December fourth, marched to near Hunter's Mill.

December fifth, marched in rear of train.

December sixth, marched.

December seventh, crossed Turkey Branch; camped near Springfield.

December 8th.--Marched about ten miles.

December 9th.--Marched to about fifteen miles from Savannah. Encountered a small force of the enemy in a small work with two guns. Got on their flank, and they left.

December 10th.--Marched across the Charleston and Savannah Railroad, partially destroyed a bridge, and at night went into position about five miles from Savannah, about one mile from the enemy's works.

December 11th.--The regiment, with the One Hundred and Seventh New-York, made a reconnoissance toward the enemy's works.

December 12th.--Advanced with the brigade, and took position near the enemy's works.

December 13th and 14th.--Lay in the same position.

December 15th.--Crossed the Savannah River on flat-boats, and camped on a rice plantation on Argyle Island, near the Third Wisconsin.

December 16th.--Were shelled from the South-Carolina shore, and from a rebel gunboat.

December 17th.--Lay in same position. Threw up some slight defensive works.

December 18th.--Lay in same position.

December 19th.--Crossed at daylight on flatboats, to the Carolina shore, the Third Wisconsin in advance. Drove in the enemy's skirmishers, and established a line of battle about a mile from the river. Advanced a short distance about noon to a small hill, and threw up works. Were shelled by the enemy.

December 20th.--Had works built for two guns, which were crossed in the night. Were shelled by gun-boats and field-battery.

December 21st.--Received orders to cross to Argyle Island, which was effected without loss to our regiment. Companies A and C, and our pickets, were hard pressed by the enemy, but crossed late at night with a loss of one man wounded.

The regiment attempted to cross to the main land, but a heavy wind prevailing, were blown down river to King's Island, and recrossed the regiment to Argyle Island in small boats with much difficulty.

December 22d.---The whole day spent in crossing the brigade to the Georgia shore. At night, marched about seven miles, to the present camp of the command.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

William Cogswell, Colonel Commanding Second Massachusetts Infantry.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
William Cogswell (2)
Spiers (1)
Meriwether (1)
J. R. Lindsay (1)
Gildersleeve (1)
Conyer (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: