previous next


These movements were executed with commendable zeal and ability. Hood, supported by Evans, made a gallant attack, driving the enemy back till nine o'clock at night. One piece of artillery, several regimental standards, and a number of prisoners were taken. The enemy's entire force was found to be mssed directly in my front; aud in so strong a position that it was not deemed advisable to move on against his immediate front so the troops were quietly withdrawn at one o'clock the following morning. The wheels of the captured piece were cut down, and it was left on the ground. The enemy seized that opportunity to claim a victory, and the Federal commander was so impudent as to despatch his Government, by telegraph, tidings to that effect. After withdrawing from the attack, my troops were placed in the line first occupied, and in the original order.

During the day, Colonel S. D. Lee, with his reserve artillery, placed in the position occupied the day previous by Colonel Walton, and engaged the enemy in a very severe artillery combat. The result was, as the day previous, a success. At half past 3 o'clock in the afternoon, I rode to the front for the purpose of completing arrangements for making a diversion in favor of a flank movement, then under contemplation. Just after reaching my front line, I received a message for reinforcements for General Jackson, who was said to be severely pressed. From an eminence near by, one portion of the enemy's masses attacking General Jackson were immediately within my view, and in easy range of batteries in that position. It gave me an advantage that I had not expected to have, and I made haste to use it. Two batteries were ordered for the purpose, and one placed in position immediately and opened. Just as this fire began, I received a message from the commanding General, informing me of General Jackson's condition and his wants. As it was evident that the attack against General Jackson could not be continued ten minutes under the fire of these batteries, I made no movement with my troops. Before the second battery could be placed in position, the enemy began to retire; and in less than ten minutes the ranks were broken, and that portion of his army put to flight. A fair opportunity was offered me, and the intended diversion was changed into an attack. My whole line was rushed forward at a charge. The troops sprang to their work, and moved forward with all the steadiness and firmness that characterize warworn veterans. The batteries, continuing their play upon the confused masses, completed the work of this portion of the enemy's line, and my attack was, therefore, made against the forces in my front. The order for the advance had scarcely been given when I received a message from the commanding General, anticipating some such emergency, and ordering the move which was then going on, at the same time offering me Major-General Anderson's division. The commanding General soon joined me, and a few moments after Major-General Anderson arrived with his division. The attack was led by Hood's brigade, closely supported by Evans. These were rapidly reenforced by Anderson's division from the rear, Kemper's three brigades, and D. R. Jones's division from the right, and Wilcox's brigade from the left. The brigades of Brigadier-Generals Featherston and Pryor became detached, and operated with a portion of General Jackson's command. The attacking columns moved steadily forward, driving the enemy from his different positions as rapidly as he took them. My batteries were thrown forward from point to point, following the movements of the general line. These, however, were somewhat detained by an enfilade fire from a battery on my left. This threw more than its proper share of fighting upon the infantry, retarded our rapid progress, and enabled the enemy to escape with many of his batteries, which should have fallen into our hands. The battle continued until ten o'clock at night, when utter darkness put a stop to our progress. The enemy made his escape across Bull Run before daylight. Three batteries, a large number of prisoners, many stands of regimental colors, and twelve thousand stands of arms, besides some wagons, ambulances, &c., were taken.

The next day, like the day after the first battle of Manassas plains, was stormy and excessively disagreeable. Orders were given early in the day for caring for the wounded, burying the dead, and collecting arms and other supplies.

About noon, General Pryor,with his brigade, was thrown across Bull Run to occupy the heights between that and Cub Run, and at two o'clock in the afternoon, the balance of the command marched to cross Bull Run at Sudley Ford. Crossing the run on the following day, the command marched for Chantilly, via the Little River turnpike. The enemy was reported in position in our front as we reached Chantilly, and he made an attack upon General Jackson before my troops arrived. He was repulsed, however, before my reinforcements got up, and disappeared during the night.

On the second of September, the command marched via Drainsville, Leesburg, and across the Potomac, at White's Ford, to Frederick City, Maryland, arriving there on the seventh. I moved from Frederick for Hagerstown on the tenth, and reached there, with part of my command, on the eleventh, sending six brigades, under Major-General Anderson, to cooperate with Major-General McLaws in the assault upon Maryland Heights and Harper's Ferry. During the operations against this garrison the approach of a large army from Washington city for its relief was reported. We were obliged to make a forced march in order to reach Boonsboroa Pass to assist Major-General D. H. Hill's division in holding this army in check, so as to give time for the reduction of Harper's Ferry. I reached Boonsboroa about three o'clock in the afternoon, and, upon ascending the mountain, found General Hill heavily engaged. My troops were hurried to his assistance as rapidly as their exhausted condition would admit of. The brigades of Brigadier-Generals Evans, Pickett, (under Garnett,) Kemper, and Jenkins, (under Colonel Walker,) were extended

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
September 2nd (1)
11th (1)
10th (1)
7th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: