previous next


Ninth Michigan cavalry left camp near Atlanta on the fourteenth day of November, 1864, and moved on the Fairburn road five (5) miles in advance of the Second brigade cavalry division, where we encamped for the night.

November 15.--Left camp and moved to within five (5) miles of Jonesboro. Third battalion being in advance, drove in the enemy's pickets.

16th. Passing through Jonesboro. Lovejoy, and Bear Creek Station, moved three (3) miles on the McDonough road, and encamped for the night.

17th. Left camp and marched about twenty-two (22) miles, and encamped for the night.

18th. Marched fifteen (15) miles.

19th. Crossing the Ocmulgee, passed through Hillsboro and on to Clinton; arrived at three P. M., and encamped. During the day, we marched thirty-nine (39) miles and took six (6) prisoners.

20th. Companies B, C, and D, being detached for a scout to Griswold Station, in charge of Captain Ladd, meeting the enemy but keeping them at bay, burned the town, destroying the railroad, cutting the telegraph-wire, burned a train of cars. Fighting their way back, they returned to the regiment on the twenty-second of November, with the loss of one wounded and three captured. The remainder of the regiment left Clinton, and marched to within three (3) miles of Macon, and moved back five (5) miles on the Milledgeville road, and encamped.

21st. Were drawn up in line of battle, and remained all day. Went on picket four miles from Macon, and remained during the night.

22d. Marched about ten (10) miles.

23d. Marched about three (3) miles, and encamped. First battalion on picket.

24th. Marched to Milledgeville; went into camp and drew five days rations, and moved out five miles, and encamped for the night.

25th. Marched to Buffalo Creek. The bridge being burnt, forded the stream, and went into camp for the night. On the night of the twenty-fifth, companies A and M were detailed to accompany a scout to Waynesboro. They tore up the railroad, burned the depot, burned the bridge, and joined the command near Waynesboro without losing a man; capturing one (1) colonel, one (1) major, one (1) captain, and ten (10) enlisted men.

26th. Marched through Gibson and went to within eight (8) miles of Louisville, and encamped for the night.

27th. Marched thirty-five (35) miles, and encamped for the night near Waynesboro.

28th. Received orders to report to Brigadier-General Kilpatrick for duty — this duty being to cover the rear of the division. Skirmishing with the enemy the greater part of the day, losing three (3) men killed and one (1) wounded.

29th. Left camp at three A. M., and marched to within three (3) miles of Louisville, and encamped.

30th. Part of the regiment on a scout. Nothing of importance occurred, and returned to camp.

December 1.--Marched about twenty-five miles.

2d. Crossed Rocky Creek, and went into camp.

3d. Marched all day, and went into camp at Thomas Station.

4th. Marched to Waynesboro. The First and Third battalions made a sabre-charge on the enemy; took quite a number of prisoners. In our front there were fifteen (15) of the enemy dead. Our loss was two (2) killed and five (5) wounded. Adjutant William C. Cook, who, in the charge, dashed upon the enemy's banner and attempted to carry it off, was knocked from his horse, and had his horse shot, and still remains in the enemy's hands. We then moved from Waynesboro to Alexander, and encamped.

5th. Marched all day, and went into camp at Brier Creek.

6th. Marched to within three (3) miles of Savannah River, and encamped.

7th. Marched all day, the rebels in our rear. About four P. M., they attempted to cut us off at Cypress Swamp. One battalion, under Captain J. G. McBride, charged and drove the enemy about two (2) miles, then fell back, the enemy following them, when the whole regiment became engaged. After skirmishing about one (1) hour, we received orders to fall back across the swamp. Our loss was Captain F. S. Ladd and Lieutenant William Bateman, supposed to be killed; five (5) missing and two (2) wounded.

8th. Received orders to report to Brigadier-General Kilpatrick at four A. M. We then proceeded to Ebenezer Creek, when we went into camp and fed. The bridge being finished, we crossed over, and went to within three (3) miles of Springfield, and encamped for the night.

9th. Moved to General Sherman's headquarters, within four (4) miles of Savannah, and encamped.

10th. Moved to within (4) miles of the Ogeechee River, and encamped.

11th. Moved across the Ogeechee River, marching toward Fort McAllister. Captured one prisoner, and encamped at Whitehall for the night.

12th. Marched to St. Catherine's Sound.

13th, 14th. In camp.

15th. Marched to within two (2) miles of King's Bridge.

16th, 17th. In camp, building fortifications.

During the thirty-one (31) days' campaign, we have destroyed one hundred (100) cotton-gins and ten (10) grist-mills.

George S. Acker, Colonel Commanding Regiment. Thomas E. Camburn, Acting Adjutant.

headquarters Ninth Michigan volunteer cavalry, December 18, 1864.
Report of casualties in the Ninth Michigan cavalry, from November fourteenth to December seventeenth, 1864:

Adjutant William C. Cook, taken prisoner at Waynesboro, December fourth, 1864.

Captain Fred S. Ladd and Lieutenant William Bateman, wounded and missing in a charge at Cypress Swamp, December seventh, 1864--both supposed to be killed.

Lieutenant James A. Wood, wounded slightly

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: