previous next

Doc. 4. reports of the artillery brigade.

Major Reynolds's Report.

headquarters artillery brigade, Twentieth corps, Savannah, Georgia, December 26, 1864.
Lieutenant-Colonel H. W. Perkins, Assistant Adjutant-General, Twentieth Corps;
Colonel: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the artillery brigade of this corps since the occupation of Atlanta.

With the rest of the corps the batteries entered the city of Atlanta on the (2d) second day of September, and were placed in the vacated works of the enemy on the east and south sides of the town, where they remained until about the twelfth instant, when they were withdrawn and camped together in the north-western part of the city.

Soon afterward, the artillery being in excess of the proportion to infantry, the batteries were reduced from six to four guns each, leaving but (24) twenty-four guns in the brigade instead of (36) thirty-six. This was, however, increased to (28) twenty-eight, by the assignment of battery K, Fifth U. S. artillery, Captain Bainbridge, with (4) four (20) twenty-pounder Parrott guns, to the corps.

During the occupation, several expeditions were sent out in the country for forage, a battery accompanying each; but meeting with but slight opposition, they were at neither time engaged.

Previous to these expeditions being sent, and while our supplies were cut off, the horses of the batteries suffered terribly, many actually dying from starvation, and others being so reduced as to render them utterly unserviceable. Almost an entire new supply of horses had to be obtained.

A short time before leaving Atlanta, a still further reduction of the artillery was made. Battery K, Fifth U. S. artillery, Captain Bainbridge; battery I, First Michigan artillery, Captain Smith and Thirteenth New-York independent battery, Captain Bundy, were relieved from duty with the corps and sent to Chattanooga, leaving but four batteries, (2) two twelve pounders and (2) two three-inch Rodman, of four guns each.

On the fifteenth day of November, the corps left Atlanta, the batteries being distributed through the column, marching in this manner until reaching the enemy's lines near Savanah. Meeting with but slight resistance on the march, the batteries did not fire a gun; but twice only a section was placed in position, the infantry then driving back the enemy until we reached their lines, about four miles from town, on the tenth of the present month.

On the eleventh, the two rifle-batteries were placed in position, battery E, Independent Pennsylvania artillery, Captain Sloan, near the left of our line, on the Savannah River, opposite the upper end of Hutchinson's Island. And battery I, First New-York artillery, Captain Winegar, opposite Argyle Island, about two miles above.

At seven o'clock on the morning of the twelfth instant, two gunboats and a steam transport made their appearance above Captain Winegar's position, coming down the river.

Captain Winegar opened fire on them when about (2500) two thousand five hundred yards distant, to which the gunboats replied, using guns of heavy calibre. Captain Winegar succeeded in disabling the transport-steamer Resolute, compelling her to surrender. He then directed his fire to the others, which soon turned back, and although several shots were seen to strike the lower one, they continued up the river and out of sight.

On the same day, Captain Sloan fired a few shots at a steamer crossing the river below him, and also a few shots into the city.

On the sixteenth, one section of battery I, First New-York artillery, crossed the river to Argyle Island, and exchanged a few shots with a section of the enemy's on the Carolina shore.

During the night of the nineteenth, this section crossed to the Carolina shore with a brigade of infantry, under command of Colonel Carman.

A few rounds were fired at small bodies of the enemy during the twentieth.

About three P. M., a gunboat came up from the city, and opened on the right of this force on the Carolina shore. Captain Sloan was directed to open on her from his position, and soon compelled her to withdraw.

During the nights of the eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth, three field-works were constructed for heavy guns--one near the river, and two in front of the centre of General Geary's line. The last two were on the skirmish-line, and being within so short range of the enemy's musketry and artillery, the work could only be done during the night.

Quite a number of casualties occurred among the working parties, the enemy having correct range with their artillery, and using it freely at all times of the night.

Works were also made for the light batteries, it being the intention to place them all on the line, and open simultaneously previous to an assault.

(4) Four of the (6) six thirty-pounder Parrott guns were placed in the works during the night of the twentieth, and the other two were being put in, when it was found that the enemy had evacuated in our front, much to the chagrin of some of the artillery officers, who desired to test the accuracy and efficiency of these guns.

On reaching the city, the twenty-first instant, about ten A. M., the ram Savannah was discovered near the Carolina shore. Captain Sloan's battery, being in advance, took position on the lower end of Bay street, and opened fire on her. Some excellent shots were made, though with guns of that calibre (three-inch) it is not probable much damage was done to an iron-clad, as she was reported to be.

About half-past 4 P. M., Captain De Grass's battery of twenty-pounder Parrott guns took position and opened on her, firing with great accuracy. The thirty-pounder Parrott guns arriving [140] about sunset, also opened on her, but being so late in the day, with what effect could not be ascertained. It was intended that if she remained in sight to open again on her early the next morning, but during the night she was blown up.

Owing to the little use required of the artillery, there were no casualties in engagements.

Captain Gary and two men of battery C, First Ohio artillery, were captured on the twelfth instant on Hutchinson's Island, where they had gone to seek forage.

One enlisted man of battery E, Pennsylvania artillery, died of disease on the march near Madison.

The admirable policy of having (8) eight horses on a carriage for a long march over bad roads was clearly demonstrated on this campaign.

The batteries subsisted mainly on the country during the march, securing principally their own supplies and forage.

An exact account of the supplies and forage obtained cannot be given, but as near as can be ascertained is as follows:

Amount obtained from expeditions sent out from Atlanta: (46,000) Forty-six thousand pounds of corn, (3000) three thousand pounds fresh meat, (50) fifty bushels sweet potatoes.

Amount obtained on the march from Atlanta to Savannah: (130,000) One hundred and thirty thousand pounds of corn, (20,000) twenty thousand pounds of rice-fodder, (10,000) ten thousand pounds fresh meat, (500) five hundred pounds of flour, (500) five hundred bushels sweet potatoes.

Making in the aggregate: (176,000) One hundred and seventy-six thousand pounds of corn, (20,000) twenty thousand pounds of rice-fodder, (13,000) thirteen thousand pounds of fresh meat, (500) five hundred pounds of flour, (550) five hundred and fifty bushels sweet potatoes.

Animals captured: (40) Forty horses, (100) one hundred mules.

Also, (100,000) one hundred thousand pounds of cotton destroyed.

The following amount of ordnance stores were destroyed at Milledgeville by Lieutenant Shepherd, ordnance officer artillery brigade Twentieth corps: Three thousand five hundred rounds fixed ammunition for six-pounder and twelve-pounder guns, twenty thousand rounds infantry ammunition, two boxes Sharp's primers, two thousand pounds of powder.

The number of guns found abandoned by the enemy in their works in front of the Twentieth corps line, extending from the Savannah River to the railroad, and from Fort Brown to Fort Jackson and Lawton battery on the Carolina side, beside those on the gunboats and ram destroyed, is (89) eighty-nine, a list of which I send herewith.

Beside these, a large number of light and heavy gun-carriages, caissons, battery-wagons, forges. Also a large amount of ammunition was left here by the enemy.

Respectfully submitted.

J. A. Reynolds. Major and Chief of Artillery Twentieth Corps.
List of Guns captured from the enemy at Savannah, Georgia, in their works immediately in front of the Twentieth army corps, about that part of the city occupied by said corps, and in the fortifications east of Savannah, on the river, including Forts Brown, Boggs, Barton, and Jackson, Lawton Battery, opposite Fort Jackson:

132-pdr Blakely rifledServiceableRight Cen. Ga. R. R.
132-pdr smooth-boreServiceabledo. do. do.
132-pdr smooth-boreServiceabledo. do. do.
132-pdr smooth-boreServiceableOn Railroad.
132-pdr Blakely rifledServiceableLeft of Cen. Ga.R. R.
16-pdr smooth-bore, brassServiceable200 yards from the main dirt — road, right.
112-pdr smooth-bore,Unserviceabledo. do. do.
232-pdr smooth-bore, ironServiceableOn the main dirtroad.
132-pdr smooth-bore,UnserviceableIn an advanced work opposite the right of General Geary's line.
142-pdr carronadeUnserviceableIn the advance work on the river, opposite the left of General Geary's line.
132-pdr smooth-boreUnserviceabledo. do. do.
36-pdr smooth-bore brassDo. except 1do. do. do.
26-pdr smooth-bore ironUnserviceabledo. do. do.
232-pdr smooth-boreUnserviceableIn second work on the river.
124-pdr smooth-boreServiceableOn right of R. R.
142-pdr carronadeServiceabledo. do. do.
124-pdr smooth-boreServiceableOn left of R. R.
124-pdr smooth-boreServiceableOn levee.
132-pdr BlakelyServiceableAt the Town Arsenal.
16-pdr rifledServiceabledo. do. do.
332-pdr smooth-boreServiceableWater-battery opposite Fort Jackson.
210-inch columbiadsServiceabledo. do. do.
18-inch columbiadsServiceabledo. do. do.
132-pdr rifled gunServiceableLawton battery on Carolina shore, opposite Fort Jackson.
132-pdr smooth-boreServiceabledo. do. do.
210-inch columbiadsServiceabledo. do. do.
18-inch columbiadsServiceabledo. do. do.
224-pdr smooth-boresServiceableFort Brown.
632-pdr smooth-boresServiceabledo.
36-pdr rifledServiceabledo.
124-pdr howitzerServiceabledo.
142-pdr carronadeServiceabledo.
28-inch columbiadsServiceabledo.
832-pdr smooth-boresServiceableFort Boggs.
432-pdr smooth-boresServiceableFort Jackson.
132-pdr rifledServiceabledo.
210-inch mortarsServiceabledo.
58-inch columbiadsServiceabledo.
124-pdr howitzerServiceabledo.
210-inch columbiadsServiceabledo.
532-pdr rifled gunsServiceableFort Barton.
212-pdr BlakelyServiceabledo.
48-inch columbiadsServiceabledo.
36-pdr rifled gunsUnserviceabledo.
110-inch columbiadServiceabledo.


6(six) 6-pounder rined guns.
4(four) 6-pounder smooth-bore guns, brass.
2(two) 6-pounder smooth-bore guns, iron.
2(two) 12-pounder Blakely guns,
4(four) 24-pounder howitzers.
3(three) 24-pounders smooth-bore guns.
19(nineteen) 32-pounder smooth-bore guns.
21(twenty-one) 32-pounder rifled guns.
1(one) 32-pounder Blakely guns.
3(three) 42-pounder carronades.
3(three) 10-inch mortars.
13(thirteen) 8-inch columbiads.
7(seven) 10-inch columbiads.
1(one) 12-pounder smooth-bore.
89 Serviceable, 76
  Unserviceable, 13--89


Respectfully submitted.

J. A. Reynolds, Major and Chief of Artillery, Twentieth Corps.

Captain Winegar's reports.

headquarters battery I, First New-York Light artillery, Savannah, Ga., Dec. 24, 1864.
Lieutenant W. H. Mickle, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Artillery Brigade, Twentieth Army Corps:
Lieutenant: In compliance to circular from headquarters, Chief of Artillery, Twentieth corps, dated December twenty-third, 1864, I have the honor to submit the following: On the second day of September, 1864, the battery entered Atlanta, Georgia, and took position in the abandoned works of the enemy, remaining there until about the tenth day of September, when we moved in the south-eastern part of the city, and went into camp together with the artillery of the corps, where we remained until the morning of October twenty-first, when I was ordered to accompany a foraging expedition under Colonel Dustin, commanding Third division, Twentieth corps. Starting at daylight of the same day, and moving in the direction of Lithonia, a small station on the Georgia Railroad, passing through the town of Decatur, at sundown we went into camp on a large plantation, formerly owned by Clark, and known as Clark's plantation, about fifteen miles from Atlanta. Remaining here until the evening of the twenty-third, we succeeded in loading about nine hundred wagons with forage and provisions within a radius of five miles. About dark the train was put in motion leading to Atlanta by Colonel Dustin, my battery acting as rear-guard as far as Decatur, where we arrived about four o'clock A. M. On the morning of the twenty-fourth, about seven o'clock A. M., we again started for Atlanta, acting as advance-guard, where we arrived about ten o'clock A. M., went into camp in our old camping-ground, where we remained until the morning of November thirteenth, when we were ordered by Major J. A. Reynolds to report to Brigadier-General Geary, commanding Second division, Twentieth corps, as the enemy were making demonstrations, both with artillery and dismounted cavalry, on our lines around Atlanta, but in both of the above expeditions there was no expenditure of ammunition or any casualties in my command.

On the morning of the fifteenth day of November Atlanta was evacuated by the Federal forces, my battery moving with the troops of the Twentieth corps in the direction of Savannah. When within about twelve miles from Savannah, on the afternoon of December ninth, we encountered two small redoubts on the Augusta dirt-road, occupied both by the enemy's artillery and infantry. One section of my battery under Lieutenant Scott was immediately thrown forward and put in position, with a range of about one thousand two hundred yards. The troops of the First division, Twentieth corps, were immediately deployed, and scattered the enemy without the use of artillery.

On the morning of the eleventh day of December, Major J. A. Reynolds again directed me to move my battery on the Savannah River, with the Twenty-second Wisconsin infantry as support, it being reported that the enemy's gunboats had made their appearance. On the morning of the twelfth day of December, about eight o'clock, the enemy's gunboats made their appearance, which afterward proved to be the Macon, armed with four sixty-four-pounder rifle-guns and two thirty-two pounder howitzers, also the gunboat Samson, armed with two thirty-two pounder howitzers, with their tender, (Resolute,) a small steamer. After an engagement of about three quarters of an hour, from two thousand four hundred to two thousand seven hundred yards, they were forced to retire up the river leaving their tender behind disabled, together with her officers and crew, numbering about thirty, our expenditure of ammunition being one hundred and thirty-eight rounds.

On the morning of December sixteenth, one section, under Lieutenant Scott, was thrown over the river on Argyle Island, and immediately intrenched themselves. On the morning of the eighteenth engaged a section of rebel artillery on South-Carolina shore. After firing thirteen rounds, silenced their guns, at a distance of one thousand five hundred yards, with no casualties. On the morning of the nineteenth, a regiment of rebel cavalry made their appearance about two thousand two hundred yards' distance, on the South-Carolina shore. After firing three rounds caseshot they withdrew out of range. During the day, Lieutenant Scott was relieved by Lieutenant Freeman, whom I gave command of the four threeinch guns, having received from Lieutenant Shepperd a battery of six thirty-pounder Parrott guns, needing him to see that works were built prepatory to moving the light battery in front of the enemy's works on Augusta road. During the night Lieutenant Freeman was ordered by Colonel Carman, commanding brigade, First division, Twentieth corps, to cross the river to the South-Carolina shore and report to Colonel Cogswell, commanding Second Massachusetts infantry. Went into position, built works, which were completed late in the morning of the twentieth. During the day the section was ordered by Colonel Cogswell to fire at different objects, using thirty-two rounds ammunition, with no casualties. One section of the thirty-pounder battery, under Lieutenant Adle, was placed in position in Fort No. One, to reply to one of the rebel gunboats, which had been reported advancing up the river from Savannah. During the night of the twentieth, the remaining four guns of heavy battery were placed in position in Forts Nos. Two and Three. Early [142] in the morning of the twenty-first, it was discovered that the enemy had evacuated the night before, when one section of light battery was ordered forward, under Lieutenant Scott, who entered the town about ten o'clock; also the section under Lieutenant Freeman was directed to cross the river to the Georgia shore, and join me at Savannah, but owing to high wind and tide he was unable to cross. During the day the heavy battery was ordered forward, and arrived about sundown, and was put into position at the foot of Bay street, bearing on the rebel ram Savannah, firing thirteen rounds with good effect, with no casualties. On the morning of the twenty-second, found the ram had been blown up during the night. The heavy battery was taken out of position and brought up at the head of Huntingdon street, and parked with Lieutenant Scott's section; about seven o'clock P. M., the section under Lieutenant Freeman arrived, and parked with the rest of battery, where we now remain.

Tabular Statement showing the expenditure of ammunition and casualties during the recent campaign just closed.

expenditure of ammunition.
Case Shot.Fuse Shell.Perc. Shell.Total.Date.
294762138December 12, 1864.
13  13December 18, 1864.
3  3December 19, 1864.
10121032December 20, 1864.
 9413December 21, 1864.

Casualties, none.

All of which is respectfully submitted.

Charles E. Winegar, Captain First New-York Artillery.

headquarters battery I, First New-York artillery, Savannah, Ga., December 25, 1864.
Lieutenant W. H. Mickle, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Artillery Brigade, Twentieth Army Corps:
Lieutenant: I have the honor to report the following list of captured animals and forage from the enemy during the recent campaign just closed: fifteen horses, fifteen mules, five hundred bushels corn, two tons corn fodder, eight tons rice in sheaf, fifty bushels sweet potatoes, four hundred pounds flour. Ten horses and fifteen mules turned over to Quartermaster's Department; five horses abandoned.

Charles E. Winegar, Captain First New-York Artillery, commanding Battery I.

Lieutenant Newkirk's Report.

headquarters battery M, First New-York artillery, Savannah, Ga., December 23, 1864.
Lieutenant W. H. Mickle, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Artillery, Twentieth Army Corps:
Lieutenant: I have the honor to state that on the second day of September, 1864, the battery entered Atlanta, taking position in a fort, on Decatur street, near rolling-mills, from which place it moved on the fifteenth September into park on north side of city.

On the sixteenth October marched with troops of the Second division, General Geary commanding, on forage expedition; also on the twenty-sixth October, with troops of First division, Colonel Robinson commanding; capturing, for use of command, in both expeditions, sixty bushels corn, and a quantity of corn-fodder.

The battery remained in park until November fifteenth, expending no ammunition, and meeting with no casualties.

On the fifteenth November, the battery moved from Atlanta with troops of the left wing, army of Georgia, marching with it until the occupation of Savannah, expending no ammunition, and meeting with no casualties.

With the exception of dry rations, (sugar, coffee, etc.,) the command subsisted entirely on the country. During the march, the animals were fed two thousand bushels of corn, besides cornfodder, etc. There were some twenty-five mules turned in through Chief Artillery, Twentieth army corps, to Captain Schoeninger, Assistant-Quartermaster, for which a less number were received.

The following is a recapitulation of forage and animals captured on march: Bushels of corn captured, two thousand; number of horses captured, one; number of mules captured, one.

All of which is respectfully submitted.

E. P. Newkirk, First Lieutenant, Commanding Battery M, First New-York Artillery.

Captain Sloan's Report.

headquarters independent battery E, Pennsylvania artillery, Savannah, Ga., December 26, 1864.
Lieutenant W. H. Mickle, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Artillery Brigade, Twentieth Army Corps:
Lieutenant: I have the honor to submit the following report of operations of this battery from the occupation of Atlanta, September second, 1864, until the present time.

From the occupation of the city until November fifteenth, the battery was parked with other batteries of the corps, in the north-eastern part of the city, with the exception of two weeks immediately succeeding its capture, when we were stationed in the works on East-Point railroad. Battery took part in foraging expedition, under Colonel Robinson, Eighty-second Ohio volunteer infantry, October sixteenth, going as far as Flat Rock Shoals, on South River. In the expedition were probably six hundred wagons, which were all filled with corn and fodder. One section of battery accompanied another expedition, under General Geary, October twenty-sixth, proceeding in direction of Lithonia, on Georgia Railroad. From these and other expeditions from Atlanta, we received in all about seven thousand (7000) pounds corn for the animals of the battery. We moved from Atlanta November fifteenth, taking the Augusta road. One man died of disease, November eighteenth, near Madison. From this date until arriving in front of Savannah, December [143] tenth, nothing worthy of note in a report transpired. December thirteenth, nineteen rounds of ammunition were expended, mostly thrown into the city. Twenty rounds were fired on the twentieth, at a boat which had moved up from the city, and was annoying our troops on Hutchinson's Island. Battery moved into Savannah, December twenty-first. One hundred and twenty rounds were expended on morning of twenty-first, in endeavoring to drive off the enemy from a boat on the river, from which they were unloading supplies. On afternoon of same day battery was moved to West Broad street, where it is now parked. On the march from Atlanta there were picked up by my command about eight horses and fifteen mules, in all twenty-three animals. The stock worn out on the march was turned into Quartermaster's department.

On the march, the animals were subsisted entirely off the country, as were also the men to a great extent. The amount of forage used by my command would foot up about fifty thousand (50,000) pounds. This, with what we secured from expeditions sent out from Atlanta, would make a total of fifty-seven thousand (57,000) pounds corn taken from the country.

All of which is respectfully submitted.

Thomas S. Sloan, Captain Independent Battery E, Pennsylvania Artillery.

Recapitulation: Died of disease: enlisted man, one. Animals picked up: eight horses, fifteen mules. Amount of forage captured, fifty-seven thousand pounds. Ammunition, number rounds expended, one hundred and fifty-four.

Lieutenant Stephens's Report.

headquarters battery C, First Ohio Light artillery, Savannah, Ga., December 24, 1864.
Lieutenant: I have the honor of submitting the following report of operations of battery C, First Ohio light artillery, during the time from the occupation of Atlanta to the present date.

On the second day of September, 1864, the battery moved into the city of Atlanta, and took position in a fort to the south and west of the city. On the twelfth of the month left this position, and went into camp with the other batteries of the brigade to the west of the city, where it lay until the twenty-first day of October, when it formed part of the guard of the foraging expedition, which went out that day, under command of Colonel Dustin, commanding Third division, Twentieth army corps, and was absent four days, returning to camp on the twenty-fourth. During the expedition I procured two large loads of corn, and about one thousand pounds pork, three hundred pounds mutton, and fifteen bushels potatoes. Previous to this, two wagons were sent at two different times, and once after, three wagons, procuring, during the several expeditions sent out, about two hundred and seventy bushels corn, two thousand five hundred pounds meat, and thirty bushels potatoes.

During the time that the battery lay in camp, it was put in good order, carriages painted, harness oiled, and by the fifteenth of October was in every way ready for the field, with the exception of horses and mules, which, on account of scarcity of forage, became very much reduced in flesh, and a majority of them died from starvation.

On the second day of November, I received a new lot of horses and mules, and on the morning of the fifteenth moved out of the city, on the Decatur road, with the Twentieth army corps, with which we marched during the Savannah campaign, and arrived in front of the enemy's works around the city, on the tenth day of December. On the twelfth, by order of Major Reynolds, the battery was moved on the river-bank, opposite the head of Hutchinson's Island. From the commencing of the campaign to this date, the battery was commanded by Captain W. B. Gary, who was captured on Hutchinson's Island the twelfth, with two enlisted men. The battery then fell to my command.

On the fourteenth instant, by command of Major Reynolds, I sent Lieutenant King, with a section, to report to Colonel Robinson, commanding Third brigade, First division, at Cherokee Hill.

The balance of battery kept its position on the river until eleven o'clock A. M., on the twentieth instant, when I received orders to move my battery, except the section at Cherokee Hill, to the city of Savannah, where I arrived at three P. M., and went into camp on the west end of Roberts street, where the battery now lies.

During the campaign, the command has consumed about the following amount of forage and supplies: ninety thousand pounds corn, thirty thousand pounds fodder, three hundred bushels sweet potatoes, seven thousand pounds fresh meat; and has captured fifteen horses and twenty-eight mules; picked up seven negroes; and destroyed thirty-five thousand pounds cotton.

On leaving Atlanta, there were eighty-four horses and thirty-four mules in the command.

There have been two horses and eighteen mules turned over to Captain Schoeninger, and eight mules to Captain McKell, Ordnance Officer, Third division, Twentieth army corps, and one horse died, leaving with the command, at this present date , eighty-eight horses and thirty-six mules.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

J. B. Stephens, First Lieutenant, Commanding Battery C, First Ohio Light Artillery. Wm. H. Mickle, Lieutenant and A. A. A. G. Artillery, Twentieth Army Corps.

Colonel Buell's Report.

Headquarters pontoniers, left wing, army of Gorgia, Savannah, Ga., January 7, 1865.
Colonel: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of my command during the campaign from Atlanta to Savannah, Georgia.

November 13.--My command destroyed the railroad bridge over the Chattahoochee River, near Atlanta, Georgia.

14th. Moved my command to and encamped [144] within the city limits, and equipped the same with twenty days rations and forage.

15th. In accordance with orders, sent one half of my train--four hundred and forty (440) feet of bridge, complete — and four companies of my regiment, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Moore, with the Twentieth corps. The remainder of my train, with six companies, commanded by myself, marched from Atlanta the morning of the sixteenth, with the Fourteenth corps, moving on the Decatur road.

17th. After a march of twenty miles, threw two bridges (one hundred and twenty feet each) over Yellow River.

18th. In the afternoon took up one of my bridges, moved it forward to the Ulcofauhatchee, where it was re-thrown. The remaining bridge over Yellow River being ordered forward under charge of Major Downey, reached my camp late in the night.

19th. Dismantled the bridge over the Ulcofauhatchee, and marched eighteen miles, during the day.

20th, 21st, and 22d, were passed in marching.

23d. Reached and encamped in the city of Milledgeville.

24th. Marched at nine o'clock A. M., moving on the road to Sandersville.

25th. Moved forward a few miles to Buffalo Creek. Over this stream we threw a pontoonbridge, and also built one small trestle-bridge during the night.

26th. Took up the pontoon-bridge and marched the same day to Sandersville, a distance of ten miles.

27th. Sent Major Downey with two companies and one hundred and twenty feet of bridge, to report to General Baird, whose division marched on the extreme left flank. The remainder of my command moved on the river road from Louisville, with Generals Carlin's and Morgan's divisions of the Fourteenth corps.

28th. Continued our march to Louisville; reached there the same evening. Found Colonel Moore's bridge thrown over the large Ogeechee, and Major Downey's thrown over the small Ogeechee River, near Louisville. Finished corduroying the swamps on either side of the Ogeechee River. We remained in camp near Louisville until the afternoon of December first.

December 1.--Marched at ten o'clock P. M., going a distance of twelve miles, on the road to Millen.

2d. Continued our march the whole day.

3d. In the morning threw two bridges; one over Buckhead Creek, and also one over Rosebury Creek. Took the same bridge up in the evening, and marched six miles on the road to Jacksonboro.

4th. Marched all day, and camped near Lumpkin Station, on the Waynesboro Railroad.

5th. Marched twelve miles, and camped on Beaver Dam Creek, and by ten o'clock at night, we built one trestle-bridge over Beaver Dam Creek for Generals Baird and Kilpatrick.

6th. Marched seventeen miles.

7th. Marched twenty-five miles, reaching Ebenezer Creek; commenced building a trestlebridge over Ebenezer Creek, working my men all night.

8th. Finished the trestle-bridge in the morning, and also threw a pontoon-bridge over Lockmer Creek, four miles in advance.

9th. Took up both bridges, and moved forward during the night toward Savannah.

10th. Continued our march.

11th. Marched six miles and camped near the Savannah River, within six miles of Savannah City. Lieutenant-Colonel Moore reported and rejoined my command, with his detachment.

12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, and 17th. Remained in camp, idle.

18th. Made seven hundred (700) fascines during the day, night, and part of the nineteenth.

20th. Received orders to throw a pontoon-bridge from Argyle Island to the main South-Carolina shore. Worked all night boating my material to the point, and had the bridge half completed, when orders were received to take it up and march into Savannah on the morning, December twenty-first, 1864.

My command, consisting of about nine hundred men and six hundred mules, started from Atlanta with four days forage and twenty days rations. My men and mules lived well throughout the whole campaign, and had been in Savannah several days before we drew rations from the United States Government. My entire command was in better condition when it arrived in Savannah, than when it left Atlanta.

Before closing this report, I desire to tender my thanks to Lieutenant-Colonel Moore and Major Downey, each of whom ably commanded detachments of the regiment, displaying a degree of energy and perseverance entitling them to special notice. Captains James W. Smith and C. C. Whiting rendered very important services in their positions as commanders of pontoon sections.

Captain Wood Tousey, Commissary; Lieutenant Zach. Jones, Aid-de-Camp; Lieutenant Horace Hall, Aid-de-Camp; and Lieutenant Henry Torrence, Acting Assistant Quartermaster, deserve credit for their energy and promptness.

In conclusion, I would state that great credit is due the officers and men of the regiment, for the manner in which they conducted themselves throughout the entire campaign; although, many times, after a hard day's march, they have had bridges to build or roads to repair, they were always on hand.

Praise is likewise due my officers and men, for the good discipline retained throughout the netire march.

For the particulars of the operations of Colonel Moore's detachment, I refer you to his report, herein inclosed.

Recapitulation: Corduroyed two thousand yards; pontoon-bridge, by day, six hundred and ninety feet; trestle-bridge, by day, two hundred and sixty feet; trestle-bridge, by night, one thousand [145] and thirty feet; fascines made, seven hundred; mules, six hundred; men, nine hundred.

I am, General, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

George P. Buell, Colonel Commanding. Lieutenant-Colonel H. C. Rodgers, Assistant Adjutant-General, Left Wing, Army of Georgia.

Lieutenant-Colonel Moore's Report.

headquarters Fifty-Eighth Indiana volunteers, pontoniers, Savannah, Ga., January 6, 1865.
sir: I have the honor to submit the following report of the amount of bridging done by that portion of the Fifty-eighth Indiana volunteers under my command, during the late campaign from Atlanta, Georgia, to this point.

My command consisted of four companies of the Fifty-eighth Indiana volunteers. Effective force, two hundred and twenty men, exclusive of teamsters and a train of forty-one wagons, including baggage and supply-train, and hauled about four hundred and forty feet of pontoon-bridge.

November 15.--At seven A. M., in accordance with orders received, I moved my train out on the Decatur road, reporting to Brigadier-General Williams, commanding Twentieth army corps. I remained with this corps during the campaign.

I had no bridging to do until we reached Little River, twelve miles north of Milledgeville.

20th. We put a pontoon-bridge across Little River, of ten boats, making two hundred and twenty feet of bridge, during the night of the twentieth November.

24th. We put a pontoon-bridge across the channel of Buffalo Creek. This bridge took three boats, and was eighty feet in length. I also repaired five bridges at this point, by repairing the trestles that had been burned off, and using balk and chess for covering. These bridges were three hundred and sixty feet in length. I also repaired two bridges at the same flat or swamp, one hundred and twenty feet in length, using timber procured from the woods, making the whole length of bridging at this point five hundred and sixty feet.

28th. We reached Ogeechee River about one P. M., and found the bridge across the river burned, and seven others across the swamp, which was near three fourths of a mile in width. I put a pontoon-bridge across the river, using five boats, and making one hundred and ten feet of bridge. I also set my men at work and cut a new road across the swamp, which we had to corduroy from the river through the entire swamp.

29th. During the night we built two small trestle-bridges, sixty-five feet in length, across Big Creek, three miles south of Louisville. From this on we had no more pontoon-bridges to lay; but we travelled through a country that was very level and swampy, and I had one hundred of my men daily detailed, under charge of Captain William E. Chappall, of this regiment, to march in advance as pioneers, to corduroy swamps and repair bridges, and clear out the timber which had been felled in the roads at every swamp by the enemy. There were a good many small bridges built, not, however, worth reporting.

On the tenth of December we reached a point five miles from Savannah, and on the thirteenth, I received orders to report to Colonel Buell, then commanding the other section of the train.

Recapitulation: Whole number of pontoonboats put down, eighteen; making four hundred and ten feet of bridge; balk and chess used to build bridges on trestles, three hundred and sixty feet; trestle-bridges built, one hundred and eighty-five feet; total, nine hundred and fifty-five feet.

Respectfully submitted.

Joseph Moore, Lieutenant-Colonel Fifty-eighth Indiana Volunteers, Commanding Section Pontoon Train, Left Wing, Army of Georgia.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Savannah (Georgia, United States) (31)
Atlanta (Georgia, United States) (28)
Louisville (Kentucky, United States) (5)
Hutchinson's Island (South Carolina, United States) (5)
Decatur, Ga. (Georgia, United States) (5)
South Carolina (South Carolina, United States) (4)
Savannah River (United States) (4)
Argyle Island (Georgia, United States) (4)
Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania, United States) (3)
Ogeechee (Georgia, United States) (3)
Milledgeville (Georgia, United States) (3)
Fort Taylor (Texas, United States) (3)
Yellow River, Georgia (Georgia, United States) (2)
Sandersville (Georgia, United States) (2)
Madison, Georgia (Georgia, United States) (2)
Little River (Tennessee, United States) (2)
Lithonia (Georgia, United States) (2)
Ebenezer Creek (Georgia, United States) (2)
Cherokee Hill (Wyoming, United States) (2)
Buffalo Creek, Newton County, Missouri (Missouri, United States) (2)
Beaver Dam Creek, Md. (Maryland, United States) (2)
South River, Ga. (Georgia, United States) (1)
Millen (Georgia, United States) (1)
Jacksonboro (Georgia, United States) (1)
East Point (Georgia, United States) (1)
Chattanooga (Tennessee, United States) (1)
Chattahoochee River, Ga. (Georgia, United States) (1)
Carolina City (North Carolina, United States) (1)
Buckhead Creek (Georgia, United States) (1)
Augusta (Georgia, United States) (1)
Arabia Mountain (Georgia, United States) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: