[*] 380. The Dative of the Personal Pronouns is used to show a certain interest felt by the person indicated.1 This construction is called the Ethical Dative.2 It is really a faded variety of the Dative of Reference.
- “quid mihi Celsus agit ” (Hor. Ep. 1.3.15) , pray what is Celsus doing?
- suō sibi servit patrī; (Plaut. Capt. 5), he serves his own father.
- “at tibi repente venit mihi Canīnius ” (Fam. 9.2) , but, look you, of a sudden comes to me Caninius.
- hem tibi talentum argentī; (Pl. Truc. 60), hark ye, a talent of silver.
- quid tibi vīs, what would you have (what do you wish for yourself)?