[*] 441. The Optative Subjunctive is used to express a Wish. The present tense denotes the wish as possible, the imperfect as unaccomplished in present time, the pluperfect as unaccomplished in past time. The negative is nē :—
- “ita vīvam ” (Att. 5.15) , as true as I live, so may I live.
- ne vīvam sī sciō; (id. 4.16.8), I wish I may not live if I know.
- “dī tē perduint ” (Deiot. 21) , the gods confound thee!
- “ valeant, valeant cīvēs meī; sint incolumēs ” (Mil. 93) , farewell, farewell to my fellow-citizens; may they be secure from harm.
- “dī facerent sine patre forem ” (Ov. M. 8.72) , would that the gods allowed me to be without a father (but they do not)!